Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Some fun new yarn and hooks

I found a great clearance place online that has a ton of different types of yarn, and some of them are available for as much as 75% off: Smiley's Yarns. So, of course I found some terrific cotton and blends that just fit for some future projects. First, there was the Jaeger Roma. A nylon, acrylic and angora blend. It is incredibly soft and has a smooth touch. I love it, and got it in two colors: mocha and leaf green. (top and second pictures) I'm thinking it will make a nice vest, capelet, wrap, or something like that. It will be a nice spring addition to the wardrobe. Now to find an appropriate pattern to make with it. It's a light worsted and I have about 1,250 yards of each color.

Then I also found these two great cottons. Lily elite cotton in a lovely buttery yellow. And it is really soft and supple. Much nicer than the sugar and cream, and will make a nice short-sleeve cardi or something similar. Perfect for summer. Another pattern hunt is in order.

Finally, there's this terrific worsted weight from Coats, TLC's cotton plus in a persimmon-y peachy color. Again, about 1,200 yards, and a pattern hunt. Soft soft soft. Mmmmmm.

I have tried thread crochet several times and have such a hard time with those short tiny hooks. Now, I know that a 00 or a 1 or 2 is a decent size hook, but the steel hooks are short and hurts my large hands. Cruising around on E-bay I found a seller who makes wood handles, and will insert any size Boye steel hook after you win the auction for the handle. I purchased 5, as you can see, sizes 0, 1, 2, 3, and 6. They are so easy to work with and I am so excited to do some thread work. I have some size 3 and size 10 thread, and am thinking I will branch out and try a couple of other sizes (but probably nothing much smaller than a 10, maybe a 12). I'm even thinking I might try a doily or two! And I saw a cute denim skirt that was embellished with little doilies in a natural cotton thread. I'd like to do that to one of my skirts. And some cute lacy embellishments on jeans or a jacket, and sweaters. Oh the fun in my future!

No comments: