So when I was out at Stitches with my sister, I totally splurged on a bag of Noro Kochoran yarn. 10 luscious skeins of it. Then I was stuck with trying to figure out what to do with 1700 yards of yarn that is not suitable for a garment for me (all that angora just doesn't cut it for garments). I immediately decided I wanted to make an afghan with it, and I figured I would do some variation on a granny square.
I looked and looked at all the different patterns for afghan squares out there, but with the long color variations in the yarn, I figured that the design of the square would likely just get lost in the yarn. I grabbed a cake of yarn, my 5.5mm hook, and whipped up a traditional granny to see what it would look like. I was sold. This yarn was meant to be traditional granny squares. I got two squares out of each yarn cake, plus have enough of each left over to seam the squares and to put a simple border around it.
Above was my first layout, but I think there is too much turquoise in that far right row. So I changed it up a little ( I think I switched only 2 or 3 squares--I guess if I searched closely enough I could figure it out) and got this:
Now, let the seaming begin!