Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Starting a doily

So, my mom's birthday is coming up, and I was having a hard time figuring out what to do for her. I tend not to do a lot of crochet in thread, but decided to break out of my comfort zone and try a doily for her for a birthday present. The picture above is four rounds of the pattern, which is from a McCall's crochet booklet. The pattern is called Trumpeting Tulips and should be about 14" across when finished.
This picture is after nine rounds of the pattern. After round eight you finish off and start the finishing rounds in a different spot.
Here's what I have done so far, the thread, and the cover of the pattern booklet, with the pattern I am making on the cover. I am using DMC Cebelia, and I really love the slight sheen to the thread, as well as the smooth touch and tight coil. It feels almost like silky, fine rope. It holds the stitch definition really well. I think this thread will block really easily. The color is a really light brown. It looks like the color of chocolate milk to me. I am making it for the coffee table in mom's basement where she has decorated in brown and turquoise. I hope she likes it (fingers crossed).

And I am finding that doilies aren't nearly as scary as I used to think.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Oh, that looks very nice! I can actually picture it downstairs. Nice job!