Pages

Monday, October 01, 2007

Doilies to afghans?

Okay, so my sister inspired me to get a little out of my comfort zone again. She suggested I find a doily pattern and up-scale it with worsted weight yarn and a larger hook to make an afghan. So I found this doily pattern on one of the free pattern sites online. I think this will be the first one I try. I like the very classic look of it, and I think the pattern is not so lacy that it would work well.

Then I also found this neat wheat stalk pattern doily, and of course, being from Kansas, I figured it might be a nice one to make as well. I do very much like the wheat stalks, but wonder if the laciness of it might make it too delicate a pttern to translate into an afghan. Hmmm... But just look at the closeup of the wheat, and tell me it's not just a great pattern.

Now I just have to figure out what yarn to use (something soft, and somewhat fine, but still worsted weight). I probably have something in my stash, but maybe not. I think I might have to hit the yarn store... Oh how I love an excuse to shop for yarn!

1 comment:

Chauntel said...

I think the top one would work best for a blanket only because it has more solid areas. I love the wheat ear pattern just as a doily. I am sure I have the pattern somewhere, I have more doily patterns than should be allowed. How can you pass them up? They are fantastic!
Plus, I am the only person under 50 that I know actually uses doilies. Tracy, Mom & George all think I am crazy ;o)